Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sourdough English Muffins

This post is a part of Real Food Wednesday at Kelly the Kitchen Kop
and Fight Back Fridays at Food Renegade


My latest experiment has been to make sourdough English muffins.  I've made sourdough bread (no winners in that yet), tortillas (so so), crackers (yum), pita breads (pretty good), and now English muffins from this recipe here.  They actually turned out pretty good!

I started them at night before I went to bed.  In the morning the dough hadn't risen very much so I left it & didn't get back to it til after lunch.  I added the remaining ingredients, covered them with oiled plastic wrap & a towel, and set them in the oven with the light on to rise.  The directions say let rise for 1 hour- well, mine never did rise!  I let them sit for about 6 hours & finally decided just to cook them.  They actually did rise some when I cooked them.  Here there are all snuggled up in my skillet:
This recipe makes quite a bit- I filled my skillet like this 3 times.  It does take a while to cook also, considering you have to cook each side for 4 to 5 minutes, add that up for 3 batches & that's at least 30 minutes.  The good news is you don't have to watch them.  Once you've flipped them the 1st time & seen how long it took, then you can just set the timer and do other things until they're ready to flip.  My temperature was a medium-low, warm enough to sizzle the butter but cool enough to allow the muffins to cook all the way through.

Here's one opened up- not too bad, eh?  As you can tell I made mine using whole wheat flour.
I should have put a big pat of melting butter on it for the picture...
Now for breakfast tomorrow we get to have homemade "Egg McMuffins"!  :)  I bet you could even cook & assemble extra "McMuffins", freeze them & then just reheat for an easy breakfast.  Brilliant!

*Update: the night before I had pulled a chub (thick roll) of ground pork sausage out of the freezer, so this morning it was not quite fully thawed.  I was able to slice off half inch circles (like you used to with refrigerated cookie dough) and cook.  Easy way to have round sausage for your own "Sausage McMuffins".
 Mmmm.  Am I making you hungry yet?  The only thing I forgot was cheese!

Blessings,
Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Oh those look SO GOOD! I have to recommend purebreadsourdough.com for no fail bread. So EASY! But those english muffins....I gotta try that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love comments so please share your feedback & let me know what you think!