Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Dressing & Sauce

This post is a part of Tuesday Twister at GNOWFGLINS.

I'd like to share with you a couple of things that have been twisting in my kitchen this week.  First of all, I finally found a homemade "Ranch" type dressing that I like.  Before I went all "real food" there was always a bottle of Ranch salad dressing in our refrigerator.  The whole family preferred it over anything else.  That is, until I discovered all the nasty stuff they put in there (even organic ones).  I've tried to make my own a few times with less than stellar reviews, but this time I combined the elements from different dressing recipes & I was very satisfied with the results.

Creamy Ranch Style Dressing
1/2 c. plain whole milk yogurt or sour cream
1/3 c. buttermilk
3 T. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried chives (or 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried dill
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/8 tsp. pepper

Mix ingredients together in a bowl with a fork and then whisk to combine completely.  Lasts about one week.

I also made another batch of my Homemade Barbecue Sauce.


The first time I had made it using soy sauce, and this time I used apple cider vinegar.  It is really good either way.  Even my ultra-picky 11 year old said it was yummy & wanted extra for dipping in.  It could be a little less sweet, so next time I may try decreasing the honey & see how we like it.  Even though my directions suggest making it 24 hours ahead of time, I had not planned ahead so I made it moments before I put it on top of some organic chicken legs & tossed them in the oven to bake.  No problem!  I'm using the rest of it today to marinate some steaks.

Enjoy!
Lisa

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe - I look forward to trying it! I make all of our dressings but I have yet to find a good ranch recipe. I hope this is the ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Heather- you're welcome. I like it because it's not so heavy on the mayo as some are & I like the full flavor all the different spices bring to it :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love comments so please share your feedback & let me know what you think!