Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Our Favorite Sourdough Biscuits

My family loves these biscuits.  Making homemade biscuits is not that difficult, especially with a few shortcuts I'll share with you!  You will need to make these ahead of time so they can "sour" for several hours before baking in order to get the full benefits of sourdough.   Most biscuit recipes instruct you to use chilled butter, which you then have to cut into the dough.  I hate this step!  Too much work for me!  The original recipe that this came from also required this, but I found that I can make good biscuits using softened butter and just mixing it in (I have even used melted butter).  You should try it too!

Sourdough Biscuits
2 1/2 cups flour (we use a mix of white and whole wheat)
1 Tablespoon sugar (preferably unrefined, such as sucanat, you could also use honey*)
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup butter
1 cup sourdough starter
up to 1 cup milk

In a large mixing bowl , mix together the flour and sugar.  *If you're using honey instead of sugar, you should add it with the sourdough starter.  Add butter (melted or softened) and sourdough starter, mixing into dry ingredients. Slowly add just enough milk to make biscuit dough.  Allow dough to rest (covered with oiled plastic wrap or under a lid) for 5 to 6 hours.

In a small bowl combine salt, baking powder and baking soda.  Sprinkle over dough & work in by hand.  Another way I save time on biscuit making is to just hand-form the biscuits (like hamburger patties, but smaller and thicker) instead of rolling & cutting.  I am not lazy, I am just efficient, right?  Ha!  I place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and place biscuits on sheet.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375.  Remove plastic wrap and bake biscuits for about 30 to 35 minutes.  When they come out of the oven you can spread butter on top while still warm if you like.  These (like all bread of course) taste best if you eat them while they're warm!
Enjoy!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love comments so please share your feedback & let me know what you think!